08 July 2007

Why We Love Tay's Summer Job

Taylor loves loves loves his job. He works with great people who are very family-oriented, respectful of his time, give him challenging work, and take him to lunch 5 days aweek. Which bugs me, not only because I eat weenie turkey sandwiches for lunch, but because I'll work hard to make a great dinner, and the buster is still full from lunch so he eats like a bird. But the lunch thing will only be this summer, so he won't get fat eating like that forever. And I won't have to be jealous for the rest of my life. I think he's really going to enjoy working there if he gets an offer. He just has nothing but great things to say about the firm, the people, and the work he's getting to do.

So this weekend we went to Boulder, CO for an overnight trip with Taylor's firm. It was in the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in, we got $150 to spend at the spa, ate SO MUCH delicious (and I'm sure expensive) food, it was incredible! So we took a hike up some mountain trails for a couple hours, and that was fun enough (except that I got sweaty, and I hate having the little sweat tacos under your arms....gross) (oh, and my butt really hurts today), but then we went back to the hotel, took a shower and hung around in our hotel robes and ate little fancy chocolates like we were some kind of big shots or something. Then I GORGED myself at this Mediterranean restaurant with tapas, a yummy yummy dinner salad with olives that were the bomb, lamb skewers with some kind of delicious sauce and hummus, and Taylor and I shared cheesecake with passion fruit glaze and this chocolate tower cake with carmel ice cream. I literally could have exploded. Total gluttony. I'm now going to hell for that delicious dinner :) Then we all went out to a couple bars (fun fun fun) and we headed home about 10:30 and let some of the others play on. Most of the crowd that went out were either summer associates like Tay (so they were younger) or just starting at the firm. A couple of them were married, so we had things in common, wich was nice. And I'd rather mingle a little with them so I don't have to be charming and polite when talking to the partners. But I'm charming and polite all the time, right?? Anyways...fun weekend. Boulder is a cool place, too. We'll have to go back and explore a little more.

On Thursday night we went out to dinner with a partner and an associate who have been Tay's "mentors" for the summer. One of them went to Iowa, and so he and Tay are supposed to have some magic bond. There are a lot of people there from Iowa, it's cool. (Go Hawks) But that night we ate like big shots, too. We went to some smancy old western restaurant called "The Fort" cause it's built like some crazy old fort. Adobe bricks, drinking out of mason jars, heads of animals on the wall, a campfire smoldering outside so you can smell the smoke before you walk in...you get the picture) And their menu was bizarre. Rattlesnake dishes, elk chops, buffalo everything...and crazy dishes like jalepeƱos stuffed with sweet peanut butter, and duck quesadillas (and those were 2 of the things we actually ordered, so you can imagine all the creepy weird stuff we didn't...bison tongue, anyone??). I just had a regular beef steak, and it was really good. But the whole experience was one of a kind. It's a manly restaurant. I'd like to take my dad there, I think. I've decided that the one thing I don't like about nice restaurants is how frequently they fill your water glass. I swear 2 seconds after I took a sip, the girl was there ready to top me off. It was annoying. I'll call you when I need you, sister.

We went neighborhood shopping, too, this week. There are some really great areas here! I don't know how we'll decide. I think we'll come and rent for a year or two while keeping our eyes open and figuring out where we'd really like to live, and what kind and size house we'll want to get into. Being a grown-up, I've decided, will be kinda hard. I have no idea how any of this will work. Not that I'm overly worried, it's just daunting. Wish us luck.

8 comments:

T and B said...

Umm... Not quite sure what a "sweat taco" is? Please explain.

Street Fam said...

Bison tongue...that reminds me of "Dances with Wolves", no thank you! Sounds like you guys are doing well! Can't wait to see you again next month in good ole' Iowa.

Mrs. Horton said...

Wow! What a glitzy life you two lead.. I've never even stepped foot into a Mediterranean restaurant, mostly because I'm picky, but that's beside the point. I've never been to a spa either, that one's mostly because I'm cheap :)

GordonandChrissy said...

Ooh la la! I am jealous. Sounds like a great trip! I'm so glad Taylor's liking his job, that makes life so great. :)

katieo said...

"I'll call you when I need you, sister." AMEN!

Good luck with the neighborhood selection. I still haven't accepted the fact that I'm a grown-up yet.

katieo said...

ok, sorry to take up comment space with this, but I think your link to our fam blog is broken...so...I'm going to assume that is NOT on purpose...heh heh...right?

Stephanie said...

No worries, katieo...problem resolved! Now everyone who's been up in arms because they couldn't get to your site can rest easy. :)

Bullard Family said...

Hi Stephanie, So I was snooping around and came to your site. Warren is so big and so cute!! It sounds like you guys are having a great summer. We are excited to see you back here in Iowa, it is as exciting as ever!! See you soon.