29 June 2008

Yummy Things

I made all three of these things this week and they were each delicious. Thought I'd share the wealth.


Black Bean and Corn Salad (Thanks to Julie Berg and my Iowa City cookbook!)

2 15 oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 c. frozen corn kernals
2 avocados, peeled, pitted and diced
1 red pepper, diced
2 tomatoes, diced
6 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 c. chopped cilantro

dressing:
1/3 c. fresh lime juice
1/2 c. olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

Mix dressing and pour over salad. Stir to coat evenly and chill. Great all by itself, in a burrito, or with chips. We seriously can't get enough of this stuff!


Banana Cake (Like banana bread, only a million times better) From my Aunt Taria to my mama to me

1 8 oz pkg cream cheese
1 stick butter
1 1/4 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 c. (or about 3) mashed bananas
1 tsp. vanilla

2 1/4 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

Combine all wet ingredients then slowly add dry ingredients. Pour in greased 9x13 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 22-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. You can also add brown sugar and cinnamon to the top to make it a crumble/coffee cake. We eat this with vanilla ice cream. Or we just each take a fork and wail on it right out of the pan. :)

Pasta Salad
This recipe isn't rocket science, but sometimes it's hard to find a simple, yummy pasta salad. I took my mama's dressing and added my own stuff. It turned out pretty and yummy. (I actually took a picture before it was all gone - just for you, Chef Chrissy)
1 12 oz. pkg rainbow rotini pasta
6 slices of hard salami, chopped
1 zucchini, sliced twice
1/2 bunch green onions, sliced
small bunch of spinach, sliced
1 red pepper, chopped
equal parts of zesty italian and ranch dressing (maybe about 1/2 cup total)
salt and pepper to taste

I cooked and cooled the pasta and added the dressing right away. I stuck in in the fridge for a couple hours before adding the rest, just so it could soak up the dressing a bit before adding the veggies. I thought about adding olives and/or parmesan. But after taking a few bites, I didn't think it needed them.

2 comments:

GordonandChrissy said...

Yum, those all sound great!

Kristi said...

Darn you Stephanie! I've been out of town for a month and figured I'd check your blog to catch up on your family and instead of enjoying reading your happy news(s) I found myself crying in lonesome distress of having a great friend move away:( Hope you guys are doing well. Like ya lots, Kristi